When it comes to performance, F-Spot hasn’t always been the best of it’s class. Part of my Summer of Code time has been spent on improving that. While reworking the editors (which will land soon), I ran into trouble spots, which I’ve started fixing. My mentor improved in these.
To show the difference, I’ve made a small unscientific benchmark. Below are the times needed to add 2 tags to a set of 1000 photos. During this amount of time, the user interface freezes.
Observe how the whole UI freezes for over 20 seconds in the currently released version. In SVN, you hardly notice it happening! This is a 44.5 times speedup!
Similar improvements are to be found everywhere. I’m most fond of the fact that the image doesn’t reload anymore while adding tags. This means using type-to-tag (the t-hotkey) is now completely instant and a joy to use.
All of this is in SVN and will be available in the next release.